Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Journals from Africa - DR Congo #4


1-20-10

Dear Friend,

Well I had to choke back tears once again today and am still holding back tears as I sit in the bed in the guest house and remember all those beautiful faces. Today at lunch we went to visit the home of Theresa who is a close of friend of Brenda’s and works on the All Nations board that Brenda organizes. Theresa is from the Congo and once when she visited she was moved to weeping for the girls she found on the street naked and playing in the dirt. She was afraid they would be raped as she once had been. So she literally took them immediately off the street and eventually bought a home for them and began an orphanage now called “Theresa’s house.” There have been about 15 girls for a few years now but one of the girls died because she was sick.

The girls greeted as at the home of Theresa’s parents where we ate lunch. They greeted us with a song. Then they did a program of songs for us. It was beautiful. I wanted to cry immediately when I found out who they were. My eyes welled up. They are such beautiful young ladies. After lunch I went out to talk to them and asked each of them their names. I taught a few of them a clapping game and then they taught me a clapping game. I did not want to leave. One little girl kept touching my hair and they kept saying how beautiful my hair was. Some of them became rather sad when we were leaving. A few of the older girls said they wanted to come to the U.S. with us. My heart was breaking inside. I still wish I could go back and wrap them in my arms and shower them with love and bring them home with me. I know they are being well taken care of at least but I could tell some of them were very sad. Many of the girls’ parents abandoned them, some of them had parents who died, most were abandoned.

From there we went back to the clinic. David was playing the keyboard in the church area where several ladies were also sitting. Brenda got him to play the Congolese song she knows and started singing. Then several of the ladies joined in and we were all singing and dancing. More and more people came and joined in or watched with big smiles on their faces. I did the African yell of joy haha and they all smiled and gave me a thumbs up and enjoyed it. It was such a blessing. We have now been dropped back off at the guest house (hotel) and are going to Dr. Hyacinthe’s home for supper at 7pm. I’m going to try to take a nap now. My stomach still has a pit in it. I wish I could stay with those girls or come back some day. Even though I have just met them, I will miss them.

Amani,
Bridget

1 comment:

Qtierney said...

I guess I sort of already told you, but I loved reading this, though it aches. Please keep writing.