Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Journals from Africa - DR Congo #3

1-19-10

Dear Friend,

I’m not sure how much I can write right now because I am feeling quite homesick and overwhelmed with the excessive need we see in the Congo every day. My heart is heavy with the need here and it tears me apart. Why is it so bad? Why can nothing be done to fix it more drastically? It takes time to heal a country – time, money, complete reversal of thinking, prayer, war against corruption and Satan’s ways.

We went into town today where there are tall buildings and all the embassies are there as well. We ate at a restaurant owned by Lebanese and where many of the embassy officials probably eat. Today was apparently a holiday so many of the buildings and shops were closed. We also went to a market. I also get quite overwhelmed with the market and probably spent too much but it’s hard to tell and these people have so little income I don’t know what to offer for things. One of Hyacinthe’s friends worked there and he helped us bargain so that we wouldn’t be cheated. I’m out of cash completely though.

There is a cockroach currently scurrying about my room, most likely under my bed, that is so big I could probably saddle it up and ride it. So far I’ve seen four baby roaches and a medium sized roach and then this big one. It makes me paranoid to go to sleep.

I just wish I could depict in words or even in photo what this country is like. I was thinking today though that if Uganda can be restored to the degree that it has been after the reign of Ide Amin, then there must be hope for the Congo. I have seen many UN vehicles (they seem to do little good, but I don’t know). I guess they have been here since the war in 2000 and the Congolese government is ready for them to leave because they say there is peace. But the UN is under negotiation because they do not think it is time for them to leave.

Tomorrow is essentially our last day here. We are going to do the business aspect of the trip and then I am going to interview Hyancinthe and we also have a lunch meeting scheduled with the family of a woman from the Congo that Brenda is friends with that now lives in the states.

My stomach is upset again so I’m glad we’re having the meetings here at the hotel so I can deal with it if I need to. I just hope I haven’t gotten any parasites again.

I saw a bit of a C-section today, but not really. We were supposed to be allowed to go in the operating room to take pics while the c-section was being performed, but they didn’t call us into the room in time and it was rather crowded anyway. The baby was born healthy, though. Oh, and apparently the women do not go home from the hospital after having the baby until they are fitted with a new outfit and have their hair done. I think usually the family comes and helps them with this to make them presentable to go home.

Today we found out that Hyacinthe doesn’t even have running water or a well near his own home. The street in front of his home is terrible too, but I believe I talked about that already. They have to carry 20-30 gallons of water to their house daily.

I saw a number of cripples today too. I wonder what happens to them and how they survive. With such a high unemployment rate I wonder that about many of the people here – how do they survive?

My heart is heavy. I’m going to talk to God and go to bed. Goodnight.

Amani,
Bridget

No comments: